
Date: 1958-1964
Creator: Tony Chandler (1928 - 2008)
- The research work of Tony Chandler on the climatic patterns in cities was influential in the late 1960s and 1970s. In particular, his detailed empirical results on the extent of the urban heat island effect across London was widely cited.
- He undertook some innovative, large scale data gathering on temperature changes along transects across London, showing that during calm weather temperature differences between city centre and the surrounding countryside could be as much as 6 degrees C. His subsequent data analysis and visualization of spatial patterns provided important quantitative evidence to the variable scale of urban heat islands.
- Chandler recently died and more details on his career are given in his obituary in The Times.


4 comments:
Hi,
I think you made a mistake: the urban heat island effect was not first published in Walter Christallers "Zentrale Orte" (1933)
Kurt
I think you've posted the wrong graphics for this post.
Hi, yes sorry. My mistake in editing new posts.
thanks
martin
I find it fascinating how Tony Chandler's research quantified the urban heat island effect.
Post a Comment